Spring in the Cape Winelands is a magical time. With flowers blooming, crisp, green vineyards, and a host of indoor-and-outdoor-experiences, there is so much to savour – including excellent pairings!
In this post, we look at five awesome wine and food pairings to enjoy this Spring:
- Le Pommier Wine Estate: A Traditional South African Wine and Food Pairing
Tucked away in the Stellenbosch Winelands, along picturesque Helshoogte Pass, Le Pommier offers everything from excellent wines to intimate, varied accommodation to incredible Banhoek country-style cuisine.
But this spring, it is their wine and food pairings that you simply must try! While they have several options (including a fun kiddies’ pairing), why not sample a South African favourite?
Their food and wine pairing (priced at R95 per person) includes:
- a traditional chicken pie paired with Le Pommier Sauvignon Blanc;
- South African bobotie paired with Le Pommier Maraai Rosé;
- beef oxtail paté with MAC Cabernet Franc/Malbec Blend.
This Banhoek trio offers a taste of South Africa and Le Pommier in one satisfying sitting, while also allowing you to soak up the views of this scenic estate.
2. Haskell Vineyards: Four Menu Tasters and Wines
Situated in Stellenbosch’s famous Golden Triangle, Haskell Vineyards offers a range of award-winning wines, stylish Stellenbosch accommodation, and delectable food options, including meals at Longtable Restaurant or peaceful picnics.
They have four tasting options – including an exciting food and wine pairing.
Haskell Vineyards food and wine pairing (priced at R195 per person) includes a selection of four small tasters – available from their current menu –, with one Dombeya and three Haskell Wines.
3. Cavalli Estate: Sorbet Ice Lollies and Wine
Looking for something to quench those summertime cravings? Then visit Cavalli and try their newly launched wine and sorbet ice lollies pairing.
Situated in the Helderberg Region, just outside Somerset West, Cavalli is one of the most beautiful estates around. Not only does it double as an incredible wedding venue but it also offers quality food-and-wine experiences, an award-winning art gallery, an impressive equestrian estate, and more.
For R120 per person, guests can enjoy the following Cavalli wines and sorbet ice lollies:
- Capriole paired with apple and fennel Lollie;
- Pink Pony paired with rose, geranium, and berry Lollie;
- Unoaked Chenin Blanc paired with lemon and thyme Lollie;
- Cremello paired with pear, rosemary, and vanilla Lollie.
4. Canto Wines MCC and Macarons
Situated in the heart of the Durbanville Wine Valley, this boutique estate offers a bubbly experience for its visitors – quite literally, thanks to their Methode Cap Classique (MCC) wines!
Canto is also an elegant wedding- and function venue, equipped with a lovely tasting room and spacious lawn setting.
On weekends (Saturdays and Sundays), the estate also offers deli-loaded picnics and a great pizza and wine experience (available on Friday-Sunday and on public holidays).
One of the best ways to sample Canto’s excellent MCC offerings is through their highly popular MCC and Macaron pairing. For R125 per person, guests experience the following:
- Canto Chardonnay MCC Brut with hazelnut macaron;
- Canto Shiraz Rose MCC Brut with red velvet macaron;
- Canto Pinot Noir MCC Brut with Turkish Delight macaron;
- Canto Pinot Noir/Chardonnay MCC Brut with salted caramel macaron.
5. Middelvlei Wine Estate: Tapas and Wine
Last but by no means least we have the homely Middelvlei Wine Estate in Stellenbosch. This family-owned-and-run estate offers a truly personal, authentic farm experience.
They provide guests with accommodation, a wedding- and-events-venue and of course, some amazing wine and food offerings, including their Boerebraai Restaurant and wine blending!
Middelvlei has several excellent pairings – but their tapas and wine pairing offer a unique taste experience.
Available on Saturdays and Sundays and priced at R160 per person, this wine and food pairing allows you to sample:
- Mini potbrood and snoek pâté paired with Middelvlei Chardonnay;
- Biltong and mozzarella braaibroodjie paired with Middelvlei Rooster Merlot;
- Cocktail boerewors sosatie paired with Middelvlei Pinotage.
Which of these five wine and food pairings are you keen to enjoy first this spring? Let us know in the comments below.
Written by Tamlyn Ryan for Travel Opulent Box.